Sunday, July 22, 2012

Yogurt Marinade & Yogurt Salad Dressing


 As I was getting used to eating yogurt and realizing that it's tart taste could actually replace my vinegar, I had an epiphany that I would use yogurt as dressing or marinade.
Homemade Yogurt Incubating
Homemade yogurt incubating
in my DIY yogurt maker

After researching a recipe for yogurt salad dressing, I then saw a yogurt marinade recipe, and I thought of using that on salmon (instead of the popular mayonnaise topping on baked salmon). I marinated the salmon for 30 minutes. I shrugged the sugar off since it would be negligible in the final product and replaced it with coconut crystals . It was very good! It's like marinating in vinegar. I liked the slight kick of the chili powder, and surprisingly liked biting into the bits of ginger. I enjoyed this with salad greens with  yogurt dressing.


Other ways to use my
homemade yogurt
MARINADE:
  • 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • Yogurt-marinated salmon
    Marinating the salmon
    I used this marinade on grilled salmon.

    Then I made a yogurt-lemon salad dressing.

    This dressing was adapted from epicurious. I followed everything except I added more herbs from my garden and I used EVOO instead of avocado or canola oil. I am not ever going to use con-ola oil.

    salmon marinated in yogurt; yogurt dressing on salad
    My plate of salad greens
    with yogurt dressing
    and yogurt-marinated
    salmon
    YOGURT-LEMON SALAD DRESSING
    • 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
    • 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
    • 1 tsp basil
    • 1 tsp chives, snipped
    • 1/4 cup EVOO
    • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    • 1 garlic clove, pressed
    • Fine sea salt
    This is so wonderful on salads!

    By this time, I have made 3 batches of this dressing. Perfect replacement for the starch-laden vinegary (not good in fighting Candida) and sugary dressings available in the supermarkets.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment